January 23, 2011

Stress, Stress and More Stress

I learned something this weekend: planning a wedding is stressful. 

Everyone knew it:  my friends, family and fiance as well.  Everyone but me.

I had this romanticized idea in my mind about what planning a wedding with John would be like. Every step would be blissful and we fall even more in love with each other.  Registering would remind us that we were meant to be together forever...not point out different preferences in dishes and glasses.  Choosing music for our wedding would show us that we were destined to dance every dance together forever, not reveal that one of us hates disco music (who hates disco, people?  I mean, c'mon!). 

Overall, things were going smoothly...yes, sorting out the guest list with my parents had its, um "moments" and it looks as if our first choice for invitations has now been discontinued, but still, I couldn't understand why I was coming across so much more annoying than usual to John.  Why the little things were getting on both of our nerves...

Then it hit me: we were planning a wedding. 

Here I was, completely naive and delusional to the fact that wedding planning stress is, well, stressful.  Not to mention all of the usual things that we deal with and manage in our "normal" daily lives:  money, work, social commitments, maintaining a household...all the things that generally cause enough stress as it is.  Add those things with planning a wedding, and a normally high strung, detail oriented person and: WAPAP!  You have a stressed out bride to be. 

The funny thing is, when I mentioned this to John he was completely surprised that I was surprised.  So, I hit up my trusted pal "Google" and looked some stuff up.  There is was: articles upon articles about how stressful wedding planning can be for couples.  But then I read a line that made my day and made me accept that this process will involve inevitable stress and that we were going through what every other couple under the sun has experienced too:  "Change is stressful-even good change".  There it was.  The words I will repeat to myself for the next four months and six days.  If those words are true, then this is the best stress I could ever hope to have.


And in four months, six days and about an hour, there I'll be: walking  down the aisle, both parents beside me, towards the man I love.  And that's all that will matter.  Not the font we chose for the invitations, not the salad bowl we registered for, not the music played at our wedding.  I know that at that moment, everything will fall into place and all of the so called "stress" will be worth it.  Even if there is no disco music played at our wedding...but I'm still working on that one.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, people, not sure why the one line is highlighted....

    ReplyDelete