March 9, 2011

I'm Already Married

Mom, before you fall over yourself to click on this blog post to read the rest of it, relax.  I am not actually, legally married yet.  You and Dad and what feels like every person we know (note to self: get the paperboy's mailing address) will witness my nuptials to John as planned.  What I mean by "I'm already married" is that I feel as if I'm already married.  Big difference. Probably should have opened with that instead.  Sorry.

Now that my mother's pulse has hopefully returned to its normal rate, let me explain myself.  John and I have been in love pretty much right off the bat and have been living together for some time now.  I am no less committed to John today that I will be on our wedding day.  I consider him in decisions, big and small and his happiness is my happiness too.  You may ask, then, why are you bothering to get married?  I have many answers to that question that are relevant and important to me.  However, some may now ask then why are you having a wedding?  I have answers a-plenty for that one, too.

But, my whole life, I've thought about what my wedding would be like.  Though it wasn't until I met John that I really started to think about what a marriage would be like.  There again...a big difference...and here are but a few.

At our wedding, I will have my hair and makeup professionally done

During our marriage, I will likely have my hair in a ponytail 30% of the time and will keep makeup to a minimum...pretty much mascara and lip gloss (tinted, though)

During our wedding, we will eat freshly prepared foods from a menu that we have been planning out for months

During our marriage, we will be eating quite a few dinners that come out of the microwave or handed over by a guy with a pizza logo on top of his car

During our wedding, we will be surrounded by family and friends who have traveled near and far to be with us

During our marriage, we will play phone tag with said loved ones and struggle to find one Saturday night that works for everyone to go have dinner together

During our wedding, John and I will have hundreds of photographs taken of us

During our marriage, we will hopefully maintain having many photos taken of us, but will include pictures of our children who we hope to welcome one day as well

During our wedding, John and I will realize how lucky we are to have one another and those around us to offer their love and support

During our marriage, well, that one will remain unchanged

So, you ask, what's the difference between a wedding and a marriage?  One will enable us to create memories that will last the rest of our lives.  The other enables us to have the rest of our lives to make memories.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment