April 11, 2011

Faux Pas

Being in the home stretch of our engagement makes me look back and reflect on what an exciting, wonderful, stressful, fun-paved road we’ve been on since November. 

The good:  people congratulate you all the time.  People you know, people you don’t.  I’m a bit of an attention um, lover, so that has been awesome!  Oh, and I think I'm supposed to include that I'm marrying a wonderful man with "the good" as well. 

The bad: decisions, decisions, decisions…and then more, you guessed it…decisions.  Sometimes John and I would agree, sometimes we wouldn’t.  But in the end, I think we are going to have a rockin’ wedding.  All together now, people: COMPROMISE.

The ugly:  the faux pas portion of the program.  All of the mistakes we’ve made (ok, that is 2% him, 98% me) along the way in decision making and the things others have said and done to make me stop in my tracks and think, “did they just say that!?”

Faux Pas # 1:  Registering for the world’s most expensive dishes.  John and I chose a large department store chain as one of our venues in which to register.   We picked out the most beautiful dinnerware set I’ve ever seen and start scanning away.  He loves it, I love it…we’re golden.  I notice, but quickly dismiss the fact that I see no prices listed.  I later find out that John DID notice the prices, assumed I saw them and didn’t say anything.  Um, yeah…service for 10?  $2,000?  Not so much.  Thanks to the wonder of registry management online, I deleted those and promptly registered for the second most beautiful dinnerware set I’ve ever seen.

Faux Pas # 2: Resisting the guest list.  We went from “small and intimate” to “the more, the merrier”.  Now, I wouldn’t have it any other way.  Unfortunately, I think I drove my parents and John bananas reaching that conclusion.  My faux pas...entirely.

Faux Pas # 3: The things people say.  Someone I don’t speak with often asked me how much we were paying per head.  That was worthy of a Facebook status that day for sure.  There are five people who know that answer: our venue contact, my parents, John and myself.  Lady: you’re so not on that list.  Someone else asked me who our band was.  Me: we hired a DJ.  Them: Oh, you went the cheap route.  I'm sorry.  W-w-what?

One of my favorite faux pas was not mine and was not recent, but still worth sharing, I think.  This person had a wedding, sent someone a thank you note for their gift and wrote that they were sorry they couldn’t attend the wedding when they actually did.  I won’t throw that bride under the bus by stating her name here, but she’s reading this and she knows who she is...and she knows I love her!

Faux Pas # 4: Reply cards.  Apparently Mr. and Mrs. John Butt decline with regret.  Um, this person wrote our name instead of theirs.  Moving on…

In the end, there are still 40+ days to go until the big day,  Many more faux pas opportunities ahead, I'm sure.  Lucky me.  Oh, wait...a mere 40+ days until I'm John's wife and he's my husband.  Lucky me indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Faux pas #3: I love when people ask about things that are none of their freaking business. No manners whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete